Tales from the Crib - Baby Steps in High Heels

Monday, January 25, 2010

Tales from the Crib

Last night, Baby slept in her crib … in her own room …. all night long.

I, on the other hand, didn’t sleep much at all. Baby is very adaptable. She’ll pretty much sleep anywhere, any time, so long as sleeping is what she wants to do. She’s gotten really good at distinguishing her nights and days, so that has made us very happy lately. There are many great reasons why we decided to try having our little girl start sleeping in her own bed:

1-She just seems to do better on the crib mattress than in the pack-n-play. Of course, she should for as much as we paid for that mattress!
2-Her room is smaller than our master bedroom, and the humidifier seems to be more effective in the smaller space.
3-It will be easier in the long run if she learns to sleep in her own bed now.
4-Blah. Blah. Blah.

It drove me crazy! We might have a super fancy video monitor, but you can’t really tell if she’s breathing on those things! And, yes, I still check to make sure she’s breathing at least 5-6 times at night (and just as many time during the day). Also, her gazillion grunts, noises, and sleep-cries sound much more imperative on the monitor than they do when she is sleeping right next to you.

So, here is how last night really went. I went to bed at 10 pm while Husband fed Baby and took the first shift. I woke up later to take the 2 am feeding (yes, she slept for 4 hours! But, I was up at 1 am just in case). She was actually really sleepy, so I changed her, fed her, and put her back to sleep within about 30 minutes. Yay … I can now sleep from 2:30-7:30 am, right? Wrong. I started in the chair in her room. I needed to hear her breathe. The chair is great for rocking, not so much for sleeping. Knowing that she would be ready to eat around 5 am, I decided to go to bed about 4:15. Instead of sleeping, I watched her on the monitor for the next hour or so. By that time, Baby was ready to eat. I got up and started to feed her. Luckily, Husband came quickly to relieve me and I got a couple hours of sleep before starting the day.

Oh, and yes, I’m back at work. Today actually starts my third week back. Stupid HR paperwork, etc. didn’t approve my 8 weeks of maternity leave, so I started back early. Luckily, I work for a great company and have very understanding and flexible boss, so the transition has been easier than I had anticipated. Anyway, if I ever catch up on sleep and can think of something witty to post about balancing work and motherhood, I’ll be sure to do so. Until then, please enjoy my stories about how my child is already rolling her eyes at my being overprotective and sleep deprived.

No comments:

Post a Comment